Some interesting facts that we all need to know:
A FEW FACTS ABOUT INVESTIGATIONS MATH:
1) TERC removes teaching the times tables to children.
2) No valid math study has ever been performed showing the
effectiveness of Investigations Math.
3) California and Michigan implemented programs identical to
TERC and forced enrollment in college freshmen remedial math
classes more than doubled over just a few years.
4) "Children tend not to learn what they are not taught." Dr.
Ralph Raimi (wrote article comparing TERC to Singapore Math)
TERC doesn't teach, it lets children do “discovery learning.”
5) Hundreds of university leading math professors and Nobel
Laureates condemn Investigations Math.
6) TERC recommends a text for teachers called "Beyond
Arithmetic". In this book it says traditional elementary math
must be discarded because:
• Was "developed to meet the needs of the 19th century."
BA, Page 2
• Requires that students "memorize many facts,
procedures, definitions, and formulas." BA, Page 2
• "Focuses on learning a particular set of procedures for
addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of
whole numbers, fractions, and decimals." BA, Page 2
• Results in "over practiced students." BA, Page 3
• Ignores the fact that "today's students have an important
tool available to them: the calculator." BA, Page 77
My question is with reference to #6, and why TERC asserts that we need to discard traditional elementary math (above noted in red) from our schools.....I don't know about you, but how are those things bad? (except for the part about the calculator). One of my favorite elementary school teachers emailed this to me. We laughed about how ludicrous this was and I decided to share it with all of you.